Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dress Hunting

I spent the past month looking for flattering clothing for the occasions that I have coming up, including the holidays. Let me preface this by saying that I had gotten these awesome crazy-cool shoes at my local Salvation Army store for $5. They were my size, beautiful red satin covered in sequins in patchwork-like different colors, and they fit perfectly and still had the tags on them. Did I mention only $5??? I desperately wanted to be able to wear them, so I asked Kim at Fab Finds under $50 to help me find something to wear with them.

The most needed items were something to wear for my son's baptism and for my hubby's high school reunion, but I also wanted separates to be able to wear to the various holiday occasions. So I was searching for a red dress for the reunion, a black pencil skirt and black pants and a couple of sparkly tops that go with the shoes. I did my pre-shopping online, so I had an idea of what the stores carried, and so I could make the most of my shopping time with two kids in tow. Shopping for clothes is so much easier without kids... after several attempts, I had to start doing my shopping piecemeal without kids, finding a couple hours here and there, so that I could make my shopping easier. I had my mother watch my oldest and I took my baby to T.J. Max and Marshall's and found a sparkly top there. I went out one night and found a black pencil skirt and black pants at Macy's. Another time I found a beautiful cowl neck golden sweater at Chico's. But no luck with dresses...

I must have tried 30 dresses over the past two weeks,I found the most beautiful white dress at White House/Black Market. As picky as I am with the way things fit me, when I find something that fits this great, I must snag it and save it for an occasion to wear it. Luckily, it will be perfect for the baptism, specially with the black velvet blazer that I also picked up. Unfortunately, without a coordinating belt (I was thinking a gold or red obi belt), it will not work with the sequin shoes, so I was still looking for a red dress.

Yesterday I got my husband home early enough for me to be able to head to the "big" mall sans kids. After being in and out of several stores, I finally found it in Nordstrom's! A gorgeous Calvin Klein red satin dress that goes perfect with the shoes. With the velvet blazer, and some costume jewelry, I'm all set for the reunion, and with the other pieces, I'm be all set for my other occasions until the end of the year! Yes!