Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Margarita not!

So I have the great idea to make margaritas for Cinco de Maio. But, it happened to be on a Wednesday, swim class day. My hubby and I take both kids to swim class. Karolina has her class, where she sits with her peers at the steps leading into the pool and takes turns having one on one time with the instructor. When she comes out, the parent who wins for the day gets to help her change back into her clothes while the other squeezes into his/her bathing suit and goes in with Julian...But Cinco de Maio... supposedly dear MIL was supposed to come in to watch the class, so I figured that, rather than going the crock pot routine that I usually do for swim class day, I would have time to make a nice Mexican-style dinner to commemorate the fact that since we've had kids we can't go out and celebrate drinking holidays. But at the last minute hubby called saying that MIL could not make it, and my dinner plans went down the drain. Trying to prep dinner and keep both kids happy at 7 pm at night was no easy feat. I chopped veggies and chicken and threw together some chicken tacos and bean salad for dinner and shrimp salsa to go with our margaritas after kids went to bed. I even squeezed the fresh limes into juice, but by the time that the kids were finally in bed, little energy was left to procure a margarita recipe...
Fast forward two weeks...I have lime juice, tequila, triple sec, grand marnier and several promising recipes...the first asked for 2 oz tequila, 1 oz lime juice and 3/4 oz grand marnier. Into a shaker with ice and...BLAHGHHHHHH! I tried again with 1 oz tequila, 1 oz lime juice and 3/4 oz triple sec...Better, but still an odd off-flavor. I tried the lime juice...it had gone bad and tasted like someone had tossed in a handful of salt. I decided to just have gran marnier on the rocks, but it did not taste any better. Is it my taste buds? I tried the triple sec...overtly sweet...so tonight it's tequila night. Tomorrow I'll buy fresh limes, and agave syrup and try again...unless we have another unexpected change of plans...